Append a Payment Voucher to a Letter

Sending letters to the borrower. Creating templates. What to say and when to say it to your borrower.
mark415

Append a Payment Voucher to a Letter

Post by mark415 »

Hi,

Is it possible to append a "Voucher" template to a "Statement, Letter, or Contract" template?

I'm trying to attach payment vouchers to a cover letter. When I get to the "Append Templates and Reports" page when editing my cover letter template my "Payment Voucher" template is not listed in the dropdown list.

Thanks,
Mark
wtech_josh
Site Admin

Re: Append a Payment Voucher to a Letter

Post by wtech_josh »

Appending is limited to the "Statement, Letter, or Contract" template type because all the other template types require additional context to generate. In the case of the vouchers, they require a date range for the vouchers to generate. Since there's no mechanism to feed that extra data into the template renderer to, for example, generate the vouchers between 8/1/2022 and 7/31/2023, it can't reliably generate the correct set of vouchers.

In the case of email, you could customize the message body for your voucher template to be the cover letter, since all the template tags are also available for use in the email subject and body. The body supports plain text or HTML, so you could use HTML to format it pretty fancy if you wanted something more than the default font and paragraph formatting.

I think there's a 10,000 character limit for the email body, and someone hit that limit once when they used Word to generate a bunch of HTML that was packed full of Word-specific tags that don't actually do anything. Stripping out all the nonsense tags made his message fit easily within the 10k space and look just like he wanted.

If you are printing the statements, you'll just print a cover letter template first and then the voucher template.
mark415

Post by mark415 »

Thanks Josh. I suspected something like that.

Another method that would suit my purposes would be to be able to email a borrower two statements in one email. (In this case I would email a "cover letter" and a "voucher booklet".)

However I don't believe that is possible either, correct?

The third solution is for me to just save each statement as a pdf and send the email from my regular email program. That's fine, just not as slick!
wtech_josh
Site Admin

Post by wtech_josh »

If the Vouchers can be the first template, you append the cover letter to the voucher template. That'd probably look goofy to the borrower, though.

Sounds like Option 3 is going to be the best way to get it done.
mark415

Post by mark415 »

Thanks Josh! Option 3 will work fine.